Saturday 20 November 2010

Jodicus direct and clean

Starting up Jodicus Direct (without the peg) E7 6cI was a bit bleary-eyed this morning heading out to meet Richard and Steve for an attack on Wave Buttress after yesterday?s good session at Steall. Yesterday, my ankle managed 90 minutes on steep tensiony climbing before tightening up. Today I was keen to get it moving on a sustained slab and work it a little bit harder.Wave Buttress had an obvious challenge. In the early nineties Mark Mcgowan crimped his way up the honeycombed wall of Jodicus Direct. But with a pre-placed long sling enabling a peg to be clipped right before the crux, it was a bit of a weird proposition and never got popular. A few years ago the peg was removed but the climb was never re-led. An obvious challenge then to make a clean ascent ?sans fer?, this time running it out on the 6c crux above an RP3.I gave it a quick clean and play on the moves to wake myself up and then worried whether it was a good idea as I still in pain walking in tussocky grass at the base of the cliff. What the hell - suck it up. 

I was glad I did. A fine E7 6c. Afterwards all I could do was shuffle off for two dinners and a bath. But who cares.

Richard on Crackattack E3 6a

Steve On The Beach E5 6aDave MacLeod

My book - 9 out of 10 climbers make the same mistakesCat climbers Mast climbers Climbing walls

No comments:

Post a Comment